This post is also available in: Easy English (Easy English)
The North West Regional Strategic Migration Partnership (RSMP) is funded by the Home Office, and hosted by Manchester City Council. We are local authority led, but work with organisations across the statutory, voluntary, community and private sectors to help the region to deal with, and benefit from, migration.
There are four main strands to our work:
- Asylum Seekers: We work with local authorities, the Home Office, the housing provider (currently Serco), and voluntary sector colleagues to ensure that dispersed asylum seekers are not exposed to unnecessary risks, and are housed and supported in a way that causes minimum disruption to local communities. We provide advice, information and guidance, including news and statistics to our stakeholders.
- Unaccompanied Asylum-Seeking Children: We are working with the Home Office and local authorities in the North West and across the country to help children who are seeking asylum, but do not have any adults to support them.
- Refugee Resettlement: We administer and coordinate a number of refugee resettlement schemes in North West England, on behalf of the Home Office and the United Nations, ensuring that the refugees are housed in good quality accommodation, and are given the support they need to build new lives in this country.
- English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL): We provide a directory of organisations who teach English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL), and help with finding opportunities to learn English so that refugees can have the best chance of integrating into society.
The RSMP works in partnership with various organisations across the North West and nationally. These include:
- County, district and unitary authorities in the North West.
- Combined authorities in Liverpool and Greater Manchester.
- NHS England and Public Health England.
- NHS Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) in the North West.
- Home Office – UK Visas and Immigration
- Serco, the housing provider contracted by the Home Office.
- Voluntary and community sector organisations involved with migration.
UK Strategic Migration Partnerships
The RSMP is one of twelve UK Strategic Migration Partnerships nationwide, each funded by the Home Office to assist with migration in their respective regions. You can find more information for each of these partnerships at their websites:
- East of England Strategic Migration Partnership
- East Midlands Strategic Migration Partnership (EMSMP)
- London Strategic Migration Partnership (LSMP)
- North East Migration Partnership (NEMP)
- Northern Ireland Strategic Migration Partnership (NISMP)
- Migration Scotland
- South East Strategic Partnership for Migration (SESPM)
- South West Strategic Migration Partnership
- Wales Strategic Migration Partnership (WSMP)
- West Midlands Strategic Migration Partnership (WMSMP)
- Migration Yorkshire