EU Settlement Scheme

Who should apply?
Except in a few cases, EEA and Swiss citizens, as well as their non-EU family members, need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.
EEA countries and Switzerland:

Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden & Switzerland
(Irish citizens do not need to apply, but they can if they want to. Their non-Irish, non-British family members will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme if they want to stay in the UK.)

Even if you have lived in the UK for many years or you have a UK permanent residence document you still need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. You do not need to apply if you have
indefinite leave to remain or enter, but you can if you want to.

Family members of EU citizens
Non-EU family members living in the UK by 31 December 2020 also need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. Close family members who are not living in the UK by 31 December 2020 will be able to join their EU family member in the UK at any point in the future, as long as the relationship still exists. Close family members are: spouses, civil partners, unmarried partners and dependent children, grandchildren, parents and grandparents. Family members do not need to be from the EU, they can come from anywhere in the world.

Children need to secure an immigration status as well as adults. Apply on behalf of a child.

How to apply
You need to complete a short 3-step online application form using a computer, tablet or mobile phone. Your application saves automatically, so if you want to, you can start and then complete it at another time. Once you have made an application for yourself, this can be linked to your family member’s application, using your unique applicant number.
It is free to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

Application guidance can be found on GOV.UK. Once you have read the guidance you can start your application.

If you need help to complete your application there are a number of charities and voluntary organisations across the UK that are being funded to provide help and information to vulnerable EU, EEA and Swiss citizens applying to the EU Settlement Scheme. Practical support is available for a range of needs including disabled people, those with severe mental health conditions, victims of human trafficking or domestic abuse, those without a permanent address and those who are elderly or isolated. The 57 organisations are located across the UK to ensure services are available to those who most need it. To check what is available in your area you can access the government postcode check. Or you can access a full list of organisations offering support on

For advice about applying to the EU Settlement Scheme in your area please visit Cheshire EastCheshire West, Cumbria, Lancashire, Liverpool, Manchester