‘Someone who smiles, that’s all you need’: life in Yorkshire and Humber for a young person seeking asylum has been made available by the Welcoming Young Refugees project, a group that aims to help local authorities in the Yorkshire and Humber region recruit and support foster carers and supported lodgings providers for young refugees. The group is managed by Migration Yorkshire, the Yorkshire and Humber Strategic Migration Partnership.
The report identifies the following key priorities for young people in Yorkshire and Humber:
- The importance of retaining a sense of individuality
- The significance of living with carers who care
- Having free and accessible internet
- The challenge of having too much free time and how it relates to young people’s pasts and outlook towards the future
- Learning English and receiving fractured information